A High-Quality Milk Replacer
In autumn 2016, after a process of elimination involving many other possible sources, Liffey Mills sourced Green Valley Elvor milk replacer from Sofivo – part of one of the largest milk processors in France. Sofivo has been manufacturing milk replacers for 50 years.
Liffey Mills believes that the partnership of Green Valley Elvor milk replacer and the Liffey Mills’ calf feed range goes most of the way in successful calf rearing.
Why Feed Elvor Milk Replacer Over Whole Milk?
Teagasc research shows that calves can grow equally as well on milk replacer as whole milk diets. However, this is providing that the milk replacer is formulated correctly from good-quality ingredients and is fed according to the instructions.
Its independent study on dairy heifers actually proved that feeding high-quality milk replacers could improve calf performance above whole milk diets by a staggering 6kg of liveweight after 56 days-of-age. Subsequently, this weight differential continued until day 70.
One of the possible reasons for this improved growth rate is the fact that the calves fed milk replacer consumed 33% more concentrates over the trial period than those fed whole milk.
Skim Versus Whey – What’s The Difference?
Skim-based proteins are produced by dehydrating milk after the removal of the majority of its milk fat content. Whey-based protein is a more common protein supplement produced by dehydrating whey, which is the liquid by-product of cheese production.
While skim proteins are of a higher grade, whey proteins actually contain much higher levels of essential amino acids; therefore, it’s a must to strike the correct balance.
Having too much skim in a milk replacer will result in calves remaining fuller for longer and, as a result, their appetite for concentrates and fibre (straw) is suppressed. With this suppression, the calf’s rumen takes longer to develop.
The above is why Liffey Mills’ Green Valley Elvor Performance contains calculated amounts of both skim and whey that complement each other in the overall mix.
Liffey Mills’ Green Valley Elvor Performance milk replacer boasts a fat content of 18.5% and the fat content drives the energy level of the product.
To put this into context, some milk replacers can contain fat contents as low as 10%, while others can be as high as 25%. With Green Valley Elvor Performance sitting at 18.5%, you are assured that the calf is automatically at a lower risk of contracting diarrhoea whilst consuming the most palatable of feeds.
Ash Content – For Better Or Worse?
When farmers price milk replacers, they should always ask about the ash content. Raw whole milk has an ash content of 5.5-6.5%.
Milk replacers will have higher ash contents for two main reasons:
- The ingredients making up the powder are primarily milk-based and may also include additional trace elements, minerals, vitamins and additives that will increase the ash content – all for the better of the product.
- High levels of low-quality ingredient inclusion – such as low-grade vegetable and dairy protein sources – will drive up the ash content for the worse.
With an ash content of 8.4% – derived from high levels of vitamins and mineral inclusions corresponding to the premix – Liffey Mills is very proud to put its Elvor Performance label out there among the market leaders of milk replacers.
For our 2021 programme our in-house nutritionists together with Sofivo’s experts have come together to design a full and complete feeding programme for all types of calf rearing systems this spring that will drive top performance with minimum upsets especially for bought in (purchased) calves.
Birth – 3 Days of Age: COLOSTRUM
Day 4 – Day 15: ELVOR ADAPTO MILK REPLACER
Day 16 – Day 63: ELVOR PERFORMANCE MILK REPLACER
Any Sick Period: ELVOR DIGEST ELECTROLYTES
ELVOR ADAPTO is a complete milk replacer that facilitates the devolopment of the intestinal flora, stimulates the immune system and allows a better protection against external aggressions during the first few days of life. Elvor Adapto contains:
- Mineral Salts that restore the electrolyte balance and stimulates water absorption in the gut which reduces the risk of acidosis.
- Clays, these act as a gastrointestinal bandage and captures bacterial toxins.
- Carob Flour, to improve palatability and provide astringent effect.
- Fructooligosacharids, facilitates intestinal flora development & increases the local immune system & intestinal villi.
- Essential Oils that will give a natural antimicrobial effect against dangerous pathogens.
ELVOR PERFORMANCE is our tried and tested milk replacer that has fed over 50,000 calves since its inception.
ELVOR DIGEST ELECTROLYTES are recommended in two types of situations:
- Sick Calves that are encountering digestive upsets (diarrhoea) or when calves are off form or feed for any reason.
- Purchased Calves should be given as standard, three consecutive feeds of these electrolytes (instead of milk replacer) once they enter onto farm. Feed at same rate as you would milk replacer for the three feeds. The concept behind this process stems from the stress that calves come under whilst being transported to a new environment and a completely new diet in many situations. Elvor Digest contains lactose, sugars, mineral salts, clays and betaine, all agents that help maintain a healthy intestine, rumen and liver function in periods of stress or difficult times.
Combining Elvor Performance And Calf 18 – What To Expect?
It’s a simple rule of thumb, but you will only get out what you put in. With this in mind, Liffey Mills suggests the following as a simple guide:
- The amount of milk fed and concentrate intake determines calf growth rate in the period up to 12 weeks;
- The target should be to get the calf to grow from 40-45kg (birth weight) to about 100kg in this 12-week period;
- This can be achieved with inputs of approximately 25kg of Green Valley Elvor Performance milk replacer and 120kg of Liffey Mills Calf 18 ration.
The first nine weeks of a calf’s life is responsible for 25% of their total body weight. Liffey Mills has a pedigree in calf rearing dating back to the early 1980s. Liffey Mills Calf 18 coarse ration is over 35 years in production.
Formulated with toasted and flaked products from the company’s own mill. Liffey Mills Calf 18 has grown to become the best-selling calf formulation in Ireland.
Key ingredients include: flaked maize; flaked full-fat soya (for bloom in the calf); flaked peas and beans; and flaked toasted barley.
Along with high-quality ingredients, Liffey Mills Calf 18 also features a comprehensive mineral and health package. Pelleted minerals and fine proteins are added to ensure that they are consumed by the calf.
For more information on the products outlined above, contact your local Liffey Mills branch or email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.