Grass Seeds 2021
Liffey Mills is one of the country’s leading agricultural Merchants. Established by Richard Liffey as a small grain and feed business, this privately owned company has developed into six branches, three of which have working feed mills. The largest of these is in Roscrea and has grain toasting, mixing, bagging and cubing facilities on site. With over 70 years experience delivering top quality products to farmers in the aim of maximising farm gate profits in all aspects of agriculture.
Reseeding Plan of Action
- Identify poor performing fields/weed infestations.
- Soil Sample.
- Apply lime if required.
- Sow in good conditions and roll.
- Spray post emergence for broadleaved weeds especially Docks and Thistles before grazing.
We pick tried and tested varieties from the Teagasc Pasture Profit Index and Department of Agriculture recommended list. The PPI list ranks ryegrass varieties based on their potential to influence farm profitability. Each variety tested is given an index based on traits. These include economic importance for grassland farmers combined with good management techniques. The traits are Spring, Summer and Autumn Growth, Silage Yields, Quality and Persistency. In conjunction with the DAFM recommended list the PPI is designed to assist with variety selection suitable to each farming system.
Getting Soil Fertility Right:
- Soil test for P, K and lime requirements (pH) before reseeding.
- Soil test in autumn before planned reseeding. Make sure to test to an adequate soil depth-10cm.
- The target soil pH is 6.3 for mineral soils and pH 5.5 for peat soils. Do not apply more than 7.5ton lime/ha (3 ton/ac) in a single application.
- P and K must be brought up to soil index 3.
- N is essential for good grass establishment and growth. Apply 40kg N/ha (30 units N/ac) when reseeding.
- After ploughing permanent pasture for reseeding, paddocks should be tested again the following year to ensure that the fertility of the soil brought to the surface by ploughing is correct for grass growth.
Tetraploid Vs Diploid
- Tall upright growth
- More open sward
- Higher digestibility (Higher sugar grasses)
- Good Ground Cover
- Dense Sward
- Lower Digestibility
Liffey Mills are stockists of various types of tillage seeds. These include: Barley, Wheat, Oats, Beans, Peas, Maize, Potatoes, Sugar and Fodder Beet, Oilseed Rape, Fodder Rape and Kale seed. All orders for seeds should be placed in advance of sowing dates to ensure you wont be disappointed.
All orders for seeds should be placed in advance of sowing dates to ensure you will not be disappointed.
We set out below links to the Departments recommended Seeds Lists. For additional information on alternative seeds please contact one of our branches directly where we will be happy to talk you through each one.